Tuesday 22 July 2008

Don't talk to strangers

I read an article on BBC today that says talking about the weather is they best way to start a conversation with a stranger. Since people who live in the UK know what the weather is like and are used to it, so the weather is the best topic to start with. People used to say London's weather is like a woman's mood/temper. Changes any minute.

Would you talk to a stranger? I've never started a conversation with a stranger. Party/social outings don't count. Stranger here means at the queue at a local supermarket, waiting for the tube and bus, or at the park.


Shirley and Nifer at Bermondsey underground. Jubilee Line, zone 2. Where we used to stay.

As a typical Asian, our parents taught us from young to "don't talk to strangers"

Personally, as a young woman out walking alone, I will not welcome any strangers coming to talk to me. We're living in a dangerous world now. The media shows killings, robberies, sexual serial killers, rapists etc. I would be very cautious and wary whenever any guy comes out to talk to me when I'm on the bus or walking home. I will be curt and look away.


Shirley's behind at Kings Cross station.

Its sad the way the world has turned out and I may be very rude to people who are genuinely nice. On the tube, if I'm not alone then I will talk back. A bit. Normally I'm reading and I have my iPod on.

Too bad the guys who come up to talk me in public always turn out to be pests.


Double decker bus in London.

Based on the comments from the article, most people are wary when talking to strangers. It seems that a lot of people want to be left alone on public transport on their way to their destination.

If someone comes up to ask for directions, I will be polite and try to help if I can.

Perhaps one of the best ways to start up a conversation is if you have a dog with you. Walking your dog would be a way to start conversations, even in Kuching.

In Kuching nobody starts up a conversation with you. Most people mind their own business when in the public. Its just not how we are raised. In London, the older women are more likely to talk to you, but in Kuching the older women would give you a cold stare and ask what?! Which is your cue to go away.

The younger generation, don't even try. If you start a conversation with a young woman, and her bf and his gang comes up, you could get your ass beaten up before you can say: Hot today, isn't it?


The Metro in Sunderland.

No comments: