Sunday 20 July 2008

Apple Fries

I just read this article about Burger King introducing Fresh Apple Fries. These "fries" are not fried at all. They're just chilled apple slices cut to look like fries and served in a french fry like cup. And since they're subjected to a pre-wash that contains lemon, these apple slices won't turn brown.

The meal features a 4-ounce serving of Kraft macaroni and cheese, low-fat milk and Fresh Apple Fries served with low-fat caramel dipping sauce. The price - $3.49 (served in parts of the US only).



Said apple fries.

I did a quick google search and it seems most parents are disagreeing with these apple fries. Fast food chains are offering more healthier options on their menu. McD with their milk, yoghurt and fruit bags. Now, Burger King with their apple fries which are not really fries.

Other parents think that which parents really bring their kids to BK to have apple slices cut to look like fries? What's the point? Why not just go to BK and have real fries since you're already in a fast food store.

I worked in McD for a couple of years. In all this time, the only times I've served customers who asked for fruit bag and apple slices with their meal are less than 5 customers in 2 years. Seriously. I serve hundreds of customers everyday. But how many people opt for the healthier option? A handful.

In London, for a meal you choose to have garden side salad instead of fries for adult meals. For Happy Meals, you can have carrot sticks or fruit bag instead of fries as an alternative.

I bet most people don't even know about these options cos McD don't really advertise these do they? Most of their paper adverts show delicious looking golden fries instead of salads, carrot sticks or fruit bags. But hardly any people order them anyway. Fries are just more tempting.

To be honest, those carrot sticks, fruit bags and side salads are eaten by us, staff. Crew members. For me, I cook those fries everyday and face them all the time. I'm sick of fries. I seldom have fries cooked in my own restaurant. I hate them. I don't want to eat fries. But its also because I know how its cooked, how often the oil is cooked, and how dirty our hands are. Haha.. But I eat fries cooked at other restaurants. As long as I don't have to see how they're cooked.

Normally we are the ones who eat the healthier food, the salad, fruits and yoghurt. The people who work at McD. Not the customers.

No comments: