Tuesday 22 June 2010

Victoria Arms ala Amy

TGIF. Its ladies night at Victoria Arms again. I know that some of my peers probably wonder what the hell do I see in that place? The alcohol is over priced and the band - they are all right but I always wait for the DJ to start spinning before I hit the dance floor!

Yes, the alcohol is overpriced. So not worth it to open any bottles of liquor there if you earn in the same range as me. The only thing somewhat cheap is the beer tower if you come in a group. Or else just order beer or Kilkenny by the glass/mug/draught.



That is why VA is only crowded on Friday's. Of course there is the crowd who can afford it easily but seriously, I would guess that most men who go to VA open the liquor or wine bottles or even champagne to impress the ladies only.

I go to VA quite often compared to most pubs (clubs is a word used very loosely in Kuching. In reality, we have no clubs! Poor us!) in Kuching simply cos:

1) There is a proper dance floor. Not big of course. Its still a pub. In Kuching. But, we have our own space to dance. No need to squeeze with other drunk and smoking and sweaty folk. No shuffle people here thank GOD! No guys wearing caps and hanging out in groups by the dancefloor to gawk at the ladies. No cigarette burns!



2) There are no fights! No police come to "sapu". There is no need to leave at 1230am, or when you see crowds of people suddenly leaving. When you hear police sirens, it is not necessarily a cause of alarm. You did nothing wrong. You are over-age. You can drink and dance as you please. This does not apply in most pubs in Kuching ok. Fights/Quarrels break out so often and over the smallest thing. i.e. when your parking space is taken. Dumbo.

I think that it is just a display of macho-ness or protecting their territory so to speak. Frankly, it disrupts everyone and it is so unnecessary. Spoils the night for everyone. And is this among one of the reasons why Kuching cannot operate a proper club?

Actually, I think I am old. Or my line of thinking is old. Aren't I supposed to think like er, a 26-year old? Fuck. Not that young am I? Thought I was 21? How the hell did I get to 26? Chee-bye. Talking about my age is sad. Moving on quickly..

Putting up photos of people older than me makes me feel better! hahaha wtf I know. Sorry ladies.



My mum and her bunch of friends are so happening. More so than me and my bunch of friends, I sometimes think. We are not as noisy. We don't drink that freely anymore (retired plus no $$). We are somewhat self conscious when we dance. Before the alcohol has kicked in, we actually just stand by the side and talk and play cards and when pulled to dance, we swing our hips very awkwardly. Sad.

One good thing about VA is, they are always good for food ala Amy (read = pizza). You are looking at a simple Pizza Marinara (Large). RM 29. Haha. I order this on so many Friday's, that I remember the price. Quite a feat for me cos I have the worst memory post alcohol. Haha.


Slightly burnt crust aside, it still tastes good!

On this particular Friday night, Ivy ordered three plates of this chicken wings that come with a generous portion of wedges.



Yes, we memang pandai enjoy life. Eat the good food and drink the happy drink. TGIF what. We are normally at VA by 730pm (kiasu what) till late, which means we get free drinks till 9pm.

If you are new to my blog, I shall explain again. For entrance into VA, ladies please pay RM 15. You get free drinks till 9pm. Choices include: whiskey, vodka, brandy, gin, beer, cocktail. Or juices (mango or orange).

Men are permitted to enter after 9pm. pay RM 25, or if you know Alvin, get him to bring you in (for free). Or if you want, stick close to my dad, he always gets free entry too (thick face gets you places). No lar, just say that you are going to the wine cellar beside VA to the staff downstairs.



Alvin is the one in the middle! Haha. I think he looks like the boss that is why they let him in for free. Actually the one on the right looks like the boss too what. Cs needs to eat more to err look like the boss too! :D

If you're kwai, please pay RM 25 and get a complimentary glass of alcohol. Choices include (not so sure this time): Kilkenny, Guiness, Beer (Tiger, Heineken or Carlsberg). Not so sure about liquor.

By about 850pm - 9pm, Chris (the DJ) will announce the lucky draw results.. Please have your coupon ready! It is the same slip of coupon they give you upon entry into VA. Keep it. I think a lot of people throw it away or lose it very quickly. Cos a lot of the draws come up to nothing.

Since we are always quite a large group, someone in the group almost always wins. That Friday, we won a jug of beer. Could not tell by then which beer it was. Yea, cos by 9pm, the happy drinks have worked their magic and made me happy.


Happy drinks!

Someone else in our group also won a jug of Long Island Tea in our group. I did not touch it though. I tend to avoid cocktails at VA. Simply because the bartenders there are vicious. I watch them make the drinks many times and they dump soo much alcohol in the cocktail. Even in my drunken state, I could tell it was soo bitter.

A friend once told me that the markings of a good Long Island Tea is when you don't taste the alcohol. If that is true, VA's Long Island is not for you.



Cocktails at VA = bad idea. Bad experience. Bad hangover. Never again.

Err yea where was I? See this is the Long Island drinking group! Haha. The whiskey drinker is taking the photos!


#1 - Train


#2 - Spot someone crawling to the front!


#3 - Magic.

Err where was I? Oh yes time to show photos of myself. Oh yea. Cs has finally bought me a new camera! ♥

I still want the TX-5 though. Waterproof rocks my socks!

Click for larger image if you are interested.



On this Friday night, I was alternating between flash and no flash. After that day, I realize I should turn the fucking flash back on. Ahh let me get used to my new toy ok.

Why does my mouth look...disfigured? Grr..not ready lar.



My man came in at 930pm with his friends. Nice surprise.



He does not dance; He just came in to sip his beer and talk to the other guys, take care of our bags and err me..you know, his alcohol-induced, fun loving, on the dance floor girlfriend.



It does not show here though. I look damn bored and/or tired and/or tame. haha. That is cos I am. Just kidding. I never drink or dance. No guts, no life!



Time to call it a night. We went home around 12am, sometimes before. It all depends on the level with which they have not lost the ability to drive. Am I making sense? Simply put: If one person cannot drive, the other person who came in the same car has to be sober enough to drive.

Mum, Winnie and I are lucky. We always depend on cs to send us home. Since he came in at 930pm, there is no way he can be drunk yet! Heh heh. Before cs, dad had that happy task of coming in at 930pm to join us and then sending his wife and daughters home. Yea, I do have a very liberal minded family. Cool eh?



I shall leave you with a photo of Cs with Cherrie. One more person to pamper and spoil her.

Bye~

No comments: