Tuesday 20 March 2012

Recent reads

I have just finished Jodi Picoult's book - House Rules.


I don't like the ending. It is quite abrupt. I could do with a longer narration on how Jacob got acquitted and how life went on for the Hunt family.

Why couldn't Emma question Jacob more thoroughly since she is the one who has some amount of control of her son? Since she believed that her son didn't kill (she asked Jacob right? And Jacob said no, and since she was relieved, it means somehow she believed him!), why didn't she question him more? He has Asperger's so he can't express himself too clearly! Haih. Anywayy..

This book made me cry a few times. In the office! WTF?! I read it during lunch while I was eating and omg my tears flowed freely as if I was at home bawling my eyes out on Cs' shoulders. 

I have not cried reading a book since...I don't remember when. I didn't even cry reading the Notebook or any other love novels.

But this. This book is about:

Teenager Jacob Hunt has Asperger's syndrome, making him hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others. He is brilliant in many ways, but is specially focused on forensic analysis. (Think CSI). He's always showing up at local crime scenes and telling the cops what to do. He's usually right too. Then, his small town is rocked by a terrible murder. This time, law enforcement comes to Jacob. Jacob's behavior are hallmark Asperger's, but they look a lot like guilt to the local police. Suddenly the Hunt family, who only want to fit in, are directly in the spotlight. For Jacob's mother, Emma, it's a brutal reminder of the intolerance and misunderstanding that always threaten her family. For his brother, Theo, its another indication why nothing can be normal with Jacob as a brother. And over the small family, the soul-searing question looms: Did Jacob commit murder?

This book is definitely a page turner! Read it if you haven't already. I'm aware that its not really a new book, so probably most people have read it already.

In case you have read it, I cried during the part where Jacob is in jail, and when his mum went to visit him, he asked: mommy, can we go home now?

Damn sad lahhh!!! But a good read nevertheless.

Another of her books that I read recently is Picture Perfect. 


A love story this time. Sort of. With an abusive husband in the picture. Oh and the abusive husband is the biggest movie star in the world. No big deal. The world thinks that she has the perfect marriage, but it is not to be. Something along this lines. I love the book actually and have read it a few times already.

You can read more here, because I lazy to search for the synopsis ah. Its good lah trust me. Or trust Jodi Picoult.

No comments: