Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Japan Visa Application for Malaysians

I didn't know that we needed visas to go to Japan until I wanted to go. 

Then I did all the necessary research. It was not compulsory but very strongly recommended. So yeah, basically you should apply a visa anyway.

I have been getting a few questions from friends about this, so I thought that I might as well write it down here.

The application fee is free for us Malaysians. But there are certain things you need to get ready. 

If you are a tourist like me, read this page *click* Or just read on below. Let me break it down for you. This is just for tourist. If you need visa for other purposes, click on the link above to find out more.

1) Original passport. At least 6 months before expiry.

2) One (1) visa application form

Downloadable from the website and if you want to see how to fill it up (capital letters, neat handwriting etc, just Google it). Ahhh since I'm free and nice, I'll go Google it for you.

There you go. Sample visa application form. This is the old one actually. You can get this form at travel agencies or download online. I did both. :) Kiasu.

3) One (1) photo (4.5cm x 4.5cm) with white background taken within 6 months from the visa application and pasted on the application form. 

Just go to any photo shop and tell them its for Japan visa. You should wear a coat though. Can borrow from the photo studio. Don't smile showing your teeth. Tuck hair behind your ears. As long as you don't show teeth and show ears, it should be fine.

4) Itinerary in Japan

I didn't understand this in the beginning. Why do I need to show this? Apparently they want to know where you're going and how much money you need based on your itinerary.

Don't have to be so detailed. But you should state down which hotel you're staying at etc. I copied a sample found online. Wait. I go find it again.

It looks like this. Again downloadable from website or get it from the tour agency. My form was less detailed but it was still ok. I didn't fill in a cell phone number cos I didn't have one yet but I filled in the hotel address and phone number. I also filled in the day by day activities like that. 

5) Employment certificate (original company letter) stating your position, department in the company and length of service (using the company letterhead)

If you are a sole proprietor/partner/owner of the company, you need to submit a copy of your business registration original company letter. 

For those who are not working: a self explanatory letter stating how expenses will be borne, name and relation to person (s) accompanying (if any)

This was slightly more complicated for me. For one, I didn't want to go through the hassle of asking my bosses for my employment certificate (cover letters are not accepted) because we have never actually used the company letterhead for anything. 

So, I had Cs write a letter (actually I wrote the letter) saying that he would be paying for all my expenses, and he had a company letter (that he wrote) from his brother (Director) of the company. Get it?

Long story short: just write a letter stating your position in the company (sales, manager etc..), how long you have worked there (5 years), and the period you will be on leave till you return to the company. Sign and chop by the director. Must be original copy on company letter head. That's it. 

6) Personal savings, latest current account statement, fixed deposit, Tabung Haji or Amanah Saham Berhad (ASB) (original certified true copy by the bank) (Need to show the applicant's name as the account owner, account number and current balance)

Print out the past 3 months bank statement and have it certified by the bank officer. When we went to the bank to ask, they said just print the statement from the machine, and we were worried that it wouldn't pass. But it was ok. Easier than we thought. Of course you should have sufficient amount of money to cover expenses for both of you.

7) Copy of marriage certificate (spouse) or birth certificate (children) to show proof of relationship between the main application and person accompanying. 


Oh btw, forgot to mention. The tour agent we went to charged us RM 180 each (if I'm not mistaken) to process our application. We had no choice because Sarawak has no Japan Embassy. The closest one is in Sabah. So unless you are prepared to fly there yourself and book a hotel room while you wait for them to process it, your best bet would be to find a tour agent and get ripped off.

Bah. Our friend paid RM 60 for his visa application only. Probably cos his friend works there. No fair.

We went to a few tour agencies to ask and apparently some of them know less about the application than we do. We did our homework and read it on the Japanese embassy website but when we asked them, one girl actually giggled and said: err..I would need to bring passport (giggles), and erm..maybe money? Cs walked out after that. 

Some agencies charge less than RM 180, but they don't know what they're talking about, which is why we ended up choosing this one. Rather than pay less and have them mess up our application, and we have to go through it all over again.

I think that's about it. OK bye.

1 comment:

Ale Rossi said...

It’s really a great topic selected by you to discuss over here. Sometime it’s difficult to get approval on visa. Lot of people discuss such things online and try to find out solution for the same so sharing such things which relate to visa, can really help people.
Thanks & Regards,
Working Visa Australia