Wednesday 26 October 2011

Chicken chop and baked potatoes!

Cs and I just recently bought an oven. Oh dear I forgot the brand name again. Tefal (wait isn't that for pots?), Midea? Yea, think it might be Midea..

And to celebrate our first inaugural meal from the oven, I made chicken chop and baked potatoes!!

When I said I made chicken chop, what I mean is Cs pestered me day and night begging me to make him chicken chop!! =.=

I was happily flipping through recipe books, searching recipes online for something that rocks my boat, and whenever I asked Cs for an opinion, all he could come up with was: chicken chop! (with a lot of crispy chicken skin on top) Men.

So I did lah! :)



Home made chicken chop with baked potatoes!

I rock!

Hehe I know its easy to make bla bla bla, but if you knew me, you would know that I don't cook much. So this is not bad! Not bad at all.

The recipe:

I actually went to Google it and read through various sources and different types of oven baked chicken before I made it. To this end (and I mean when cooking only), I am meticulous like that.

Nifer once told me before that I am fierce in the kitchen, and would scold people if they don't do things my way, because I have to follow the recipe step by step. (Haha sorry Nifer!!) Its actually very true. I scold Cs if he tries to mess up in my kitchen! :)

For this version, I used boneless chicken thigh. Defrost the meat beforehand. I took them out of the freezer the night before and left them in the fridge. The next day, I wash them and pat them dry with kitchen towels.

According to sources on Google, you have to pat the chicken dry, so you get crispy skin when you oven bake them. So yea. Just listen to more knowledgeable people.

After that, rub olive oil, salt and pepper (quite liberal amounts), garlic (chopped) rosemary/thyme/whatever herbs you have on hand.

Then you stick it back in the fridge for a few hours, until you need to bake them before dinner time.

If I remember correctly, I used 180 degrees Celsius for about 15-20 minutes? Just keep an eye on those birds you can't go wrong. When you think they are cooked, turn the fire up to about 200 degrees to brown the skin slightly.

Ooh forgot to mention the potatoes. No brainer lah. Wash, peel, cut and arrange on plate. Stick into oven with the chicken! :)

And there you have it. Voila:



The smell of the herbs in the oven mmm...delicious..

Crispy chicken skin. Check.





And I also made coleslaw with cherry tomatoes to go with our meal.


I made too much coleslaw for the both of us. I always end up eating it for dinner and lunch the next day. And throw the rest down the drain because I can't eat it again for dinner. (Not as wasting as it sounds ok..it was just a few mouthfuls left).

Btw, I love these photography apps man. They make my photos look good even though I have no skill. Awesome stuff.


And if you think my face looks weird in the photo above, you're right. I used Face Cam to try to make myself look more..er..presentable. But me thinks I overdid it. Now I just look weird.

Cherrie still looks gorgeous though.

Don't judge a book by its cover please.

Despite its appearance (dammit should have used some fancy app to save the photo), it actually tastes pretty good.

That, ladies and gents, is a peanut butter salad. Never heard of it? My mum used to make this at home. Cs came over for dinner one night, tried it and loved it. Then, as usual, pestered me to cook it for him. So I did.

Lemme just take you straight to the ingredients:

- one chicken thigh, cooked and sliced really thin
- one cucumber, peeled, sliced really thin
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
-2 tbsp vinegar
-2 tbsp "tou ban jiang" (Ok I'm not being very helpful am I? In English, I think its called Salted Soy Beans. I bought the Yeos brand.)
- 2 to 3 eggs (hard boiled and sliced)


Did I miss anything out? (pauses)

*Shrugs*

And that's it. Toss everything into a bowl (except eggs) and mix together. Add the eggs in last so you don't mash them too much.

Oh wait. No. I forgot something. Don't add in all the sauce at one go. It will be TOO SALTY (like mine is). Add it in slowly. Taste as you go so you know how salty you want it to be.

I really don't think I'm being very helpful.


Because it was a tad too salty, we had it with bread (as our dinner), and now, it tastes perfect. Just about. Self praise is no praise.

And I know the photo above is a bit unsightly. So, here are some very mouth watering photos for your viewing pleasure:


Winnie had this. /drools all over phone keyboard!!

Looks friggin yummy! Looks too good to eat!! She had it in Singapore btw. So yea bo kang tao to us people in Kuching.


This was mum's slice. Still gorgeous but I prefer the strawberry!


Last one of Cherrie and me before I go. I edited the photo above too with Face Cam. Somehow I look worse. How is this possible? Haih! Fail!

K bye!

No comments: