Friday 20 December 2013

Japan Day 1 - Kyoto, Arashiyama

My blog is still alive! I'm finally going to properly talk about my Japan trip. I know, I know. Too many posts on Japan. I'm kinda tired of it myself but just wanna leave a post on my blog so I can look back on it and reminisce.

Start from the beginning. I didn't expect to go to Japan twice in a year. Cs' fault. I wanted to go to Europe. Visit Shirley. Go to London. Boo. But during the Matta fair, we didn't find any cheap tickets or tours at all to Europe. I didn't want to just go to London. I wanted Paris, Venice, Switzerland, Greece, Iceland etc etc. So err yea..that's kinda out of the question for now.

Instead, we found cheap air tickets to Osaka. We planned on Osaka and Kyoto this time cos we have already been to Tokyo. So before I knew it, he booked the tickets already.

In truth, during planning I thought our dates were a bit "alang alang". Not cold enough for winter. By that, I mean not cold enough for ski season. Most ski resorts open in the second week of December. FYI for other people who are going ah. We went during the first week of Dec. In hindsight, good too la. Else we would have missed H&K's wedding last weekend and that would have been a disaster!!

I actually found two ski resorts that are open in early Dec, but they are closer to Tokyo - near Mount Fuji area and uses artificial snow. I was feeling quite mehh by then. Some more we didn't have enough days for a proper trip further away. In the end, I scrapped the plan and stuck to Osaka, Kyoto and Nara only. Kansai region.

But its good that we didn't go too. It was cold enough already in the city area. Mountains would be worse. Some more the cold weather made me lazier than usual.

Moving on to the actual day..

MAS delayed our Kch to KL flight and we wouldn't be on time to catch our connecting flight. So I had to call their office at 4 ++pm and after a long talk they changed me to the 6+ pm flight. Cs was still at work. I called him to come home asap while I rushed to finish packing. 

Finally at the airport, we realized one of our wheels on the luggage stopped working! And the other luggage, the handler broke off. Sigh. No choice, we were already going to check in. During check in, we held up the queue so long too cos there was a problem with our booking! Why?! Apparently something wrong with some technical issue on our return flight from Osaka to KL. They were afraid we wouldn't be able to come back! Why?? 

So it was a huge relief to finally arrive at KL. Wait at Burger King so be it la. Cs the eating monster resurfaces during holidays! We had nasi briyani on the flight from Kch to KL. Upon arriving at KL, he turned to me and said: let's find dinner. I'm starving! Me: = .=||| Are you kidding me?!

So this is us at Burger King!


We had about 3 hours to walk around doing nothing. Our flight was at about 11:50 pm. Night flight. I was wondering would we get food or not (since it was midnight)? Would we have pillows and blankets? Do they serve alcohol? Long time since I've been on a long(er) flight with MAS. 


Ok got pillows and blankets. 


They served us a tuna sandwich, juice, and peanuts almost immediately after taking off. Nice. And started handing out alcoholic beverages! Yes, please!

Then they turned off the lights and almost everyone went to sleep. Think we slept about 2 hours only. Then we woke up to watch movies. I watched "I am Sam" and bawled my eyes out. I always wanted to watch it! The theme song is the Beatles song, Across the Universe. 


Cs had nasi lemak for breakfast.


My omelets was kinda meh. I wasn't really hungry and was saving my stomach for Japanese goodies upon arrival! 


Soo beautiful! I posted this photo many times already on my FB, Dayre and now finally on Blogger. Blogger is always last. Sorry blog. Who ask you so not mobile friendly?


Looks fake right?


We arrived about 7 + am. Love arriving in the morning. Beats arriving at midnight exhausted and nowhere to sleep like in Tokyo. Hahah.


Immigration was a breeze!! Love the Japanese efficiency. No long wait like in Bangkok last time. Mum had to do a tourist visa upon arrival and was done before us! Maybe it pays to be a Taiwanese at times like these. Hahah no. No way. Malaysian passports definitely better. We don't need visa's to Japan anymore btw. Cool eh? Just show passport and no questions asked.


Spotted a Lawson and headed there straightaway!! Cannot wait!


Sushi! All sorts of rice balls. All Japanese..just guess la whichever packaging you think looks more delicious hahah. 


Posted this already I think..moving on.


We took the train straight to Kyoto! Staying two nights in Kyoto first.


I'm searching for wifi. Its weird how developed Japan is, but no free wifi available anywhere! Grr. We kisau brought a router btw. Ahem. Not that heavy what. And MAS gave us 30kg each so its okayy.  




Just had to show this pic again. I'm hungry.


Arrived Kyoto Station and changed trains to get to our hotel. 


Most hotels only allow you to check in at 3 pm. So we left our luggage in the lobby and went out exploring!  Btw, we met some Taiwanese tourists at the train station. They heard us asking for information at the help desk and asked where were we going too, and if we were going in the same direction, we could help each other out. 

They were very nice and helpful but I think they confused me even more. Zzz. They speak mandarin, and they change the English names to Chinese names. Made me dizzy only trying to follow the conversation. Who ask me so lousy la. Look like Chinese but cannot read Chinese. 


Arrived Arashiyama. 


Saw quite a lot of girls wearing kimono in Kyoto. I don't think there was an occasion that day..cheh like I would know if there is anyway hahah. There are just groups of mostly young girls in kimono's walking about. So pretty.




Bought takoyaki to try but it was not nice. We had them again in Osaka - much better! 


Found a nice tree to pose under.



A lot of stalls selling food along the way..



Green tea cream thingy that tasted good.





Love this noodles! Its slightly on the sweet side. Not salty. But still good! 

Ehh..this post is turning out way longer than I expected so I'll update more next time.

Bye.

No comments: